Chocolate Sweet Crust Pastry
Prep time: 15min
Yields: 40-45 tart shells
- Beat together the butter and icing sugar in a stand mixer using a paddle attachment until pale and creamy. Add in the egg and vanilla, beat until well combined for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add in the dry mixture, mix until well combined. Portion the dough into 3 equal portions and roll the dough in between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll until 2mm thick. Freeze the sheets for 1hr before use.
- Lightly oil your 60mm diameter tart rings (preferably perforated so no blind baking is required). Cut 2cm wide by 20cm long strips.
- Mould the strips in the prepared rings and cut off any excess, sealing the seams of the strips. Stamp the ring on the rolled out dough to make the base, repeat to all the tart rings.
- Chill the prepared tarts in the freezer for 30 minutes before baking.
- Assemble the chilled tarts onto a tray lined with perforated silicone mat and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow tarts to cool down slightly and remove from the rings. Allow to cool down completely.
Dark Chocolate Cocoa Butter Coating
Storing: Store tart shells in an airtight container and glad wrap the container. Can be kept for 2 months in room temperature in a cool dry place.
- Combine white chocolate and cocoa butter in a saucepan over low heat. Mix continuously until melted. Remove from the heat. Allow to cool down to 30ºc.
- Using a pastry brush, dip into the cocoa butter mixture and brush the inside of the tart shell to coat. Allow the coating to set in room temperature.
Chocolate sweet short crust pastry
150g butter, room temperature
100g icing sugar
215g plain flour
35g cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
Dark chocolate cocoa butter coating
200g 54% dark chocolate
100g cocoa butter