Chocolate Tant pour Tant
Prep time: 10min
Yield: 2kg mix
- Combine the almond meal, icing sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Process the mixture in stages using a food processor. Process until the icing sugar has incorporated fully with the almond meal. Do not process too long as it will create heat and excrete oils from the almonds.
- Pass processed mixture through a sieve and discard the lumps. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
Macaron chocolate based shell
Prep time: 15min
Yields: 60 finished macarons
- Preheat oven to 150ºc fan force for domestic ovens, for commercial ovens set the oven to 130ºc, Fan speed 1, Extraction 70% (Unox Bakers Top).
- Combine chocolate tant pour tant and egg whites (A) in a medium to large bowl. Using a spatula mix until a paste forms. Do not overmix. If adding colours, add into the egg whites and mix into the tant pour tant mixture. Set aside.
- Combine the caster sugar and water into a saucepan. Mix once and place over medium to low heat. Cook the sugar mixture until it reaches 118ºc, do not stir.
- Meanwhile pour the egg whites into a stand mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Once the sugar syrup has come to 118ºc, remove from the heat and allow the bubbles to subside. Meanwhile beat the egg whites on high until frothy and turns white, do not overmix.
- Decrease the speed to medium and gradually stream in the sugar syrup mixture. Once all the sugar syrup is poured, beat on high until it triples in volume and produces a thick marshmallow like texture meringue.
- Fold in 1/3 of the meringue mixture into the almond paste, mixing well until combined.
- Fold in the next 1/3 and fold until combined. Repeat with the remaining meringue and fold until the mixture drops like lava when lifted using a spatula.
- Transfer mix into a piping bag and pipe 4cm rounds onto prepared baking paper. Making sure to pipe 1.5cm-2cm apart.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 130ºc and transfer trays into the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool down before peeling off the paper.